Thursday, July 23, 2009

Danielage: Volume II [7/13/09-7/19/09]

It's been 4 years since Cave In, an incredibly diverse, totally underappreciated band from Boston, MA have put anything out. In their initial near 10 year run, the band put out some amazing albums that spanned numerous genres including metal-core ("Until Your Heart Stops"), space rock ("Jupiter"), and arena rock ("Antenna"). A hiatus has led to a steady flow of releases from the members various side projects including Steve Brodsky's various solo incarnations, Clouds, Zozobra and Doomriders and what seemed like the death of Cave In. With all that said, I must say that I was surprised when the fine folks over at Hydrahead announced an upcoming 12" EP to be released on July 28. Earlier this week they also graced us with an online player where you can stream the EP in its entirety and just like their entire discography, the EP runs the gauntlet of sounds that the band is known for.







In all the years I've been going to shows, you'd think it'd be hard for me to narrow down the best live band that I've ever seen in my life. And maybe in a world without The Flaming Lips, this would be the case but luckily enough for me, I've been graced with the opportunity to see them live 3 times. Now with another new album, "Emrbyonic" as well as a subsequent tour I find myself salivating over new FLips material and a ticket in hand to see them live in Renton, WA in August. Always the innovators and the type to give back to their fans, when you purchase a ticket for this upcoming tour not only do you get your ticket to the show but also a copy of an "authorized bootleg" of the show you attend (to be distributed 15-20 minutes after the show concludes) and mp3s from the upcoming album. I got my hand on these songs a few weeks back when I got my tickets for the show but fast forward to this week, a beaming review on pitchforkmedia, and the amazing Flaming Lips have another classic on their hands. It's called "Silver Trembling Hands" and if it's a sign of things to come, consider me on the edge of my seat for the the album (which is a double for the record).






If you haven't checked out Dinosaur Jr's new album "Farm" yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out NOW as its one of the best releases all year. It's hard to believe that a band that took 15+ years off from working together, as the original lineup of J Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph did, can get back together (in 2005) and not release 1 but 2 fantastic records (both "Farm" and 2007's "Beyond"). On top of of putting out one of the best albums of this year, they've also produced my favourite music video so far this year for the standout track, "Over It". This is an amazing summer song/video that is going to be criminally overlooked by the masses, so do yourself a favour and give it a gander.






Bradford Cox has had a busy year already, touring the world and releasing a stellar EP with his band, Deerhunter. Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) has also been hard at work with his band, Animal Collective, touring just as much if not more as well as Cox as well as releasing potentially the best album of the year, "Merriweather Post Pavillion" this past January. All that is apparently not enough for the pair as Cox will be back this fall with a new album under his other monker, Atlas Sound and it's titled "Logos." The first song from the album to grace the internet is out and it's one to remember, titled "Walkabout" featuring Lennox. Lennox has one of the most amazing voices in indie rock, beautiful and understated and he adds a new level to another Cox masterpiece.


Atlas Sound - "Walkabout" (credit: Pitchfork)



Finishing things up this time around I thought that I'd comment on something that occurred this past weekend. As some of you may know, I was scheduled to write my first article for SFU's student paper, "The Peak". After a few potential opportunities didn't materialize, it turned out that my article was to be a live review of a Destroyer show at the Biltmore Cabaret here in Vancouver. Nervous as hell, I showed up and much to my dismay, found out that the PR person responsible for putting me on the guestlist had neglected to do so. Normally this wouldn't have been a problem but the show was 50 tickets oversold and there was no way that I was going to be admitted in. Disappointed, I trudge along and look forward to my (next) first opportunity to write for the paper. In lieu of a live review, please check out some selected streaming Destroyer songs on Merge's website and by all means, suck up as much bandwith as you feel necessary, I'm not too concerned for them. In preparing for this gig, I found myself listening to the majority of their back catalog and renewing my love for this amazing Vancouver treasure as well as finding myself really excited for the new EP, "Bay of Pigs" which is due out shortly.


2 comments:

  1. Sucks the writing gig fell through, keep at it, you'll do great when your chance comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastically written, my dearie! Honestly, your writting chops are way beyound you give yourself credit for! They'll absolutely love you at The Peak!

    I'm so happy to see that The Flaming Lips are producing gems yet again. That band has grown so much and is truly inspirational. Can I suggest a brief album review in the near future?

    I'm diggin' Atlas Sound very much. They sound like the beautiful love child of Panda Bear and Deerhunter...with even more ambience and many lovable qualities.

    ReplyDelete